Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:23:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jar@integratus.com (Jack Rusher)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), sam@errno.com (Sam Leffler), zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhiui Zhang), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

> > Unfortunately, this license means that it can not be distributed
> > compiled into a FreeBSD kernel, since clause 6 of the GPL will
> > specifically prohibit such distribution.
>
>   I have been wondering about this legal issue lately.  What is the law
> with regards to implementing XFS as a KLM for FreeBSD & shipping the
> source in contrib?  It won't help people who are trying to make
> commercial products with embedded FreeBSD, but it might be useful for
> sysadmins.

You won't be able to boot from it, unless you compile your own
kernel.  This was pretty much the Soft Updates status, until
recently.

The problem with the GPL clause 6 is that it prohibits any
additional restrictions, and requiring the distribution of
another license, even if it does not otherwise conflict, is
a restriction on what can be done with the code.  Without
that other license, the right granted to you to use the code
in question doesn't exist, since it is the license which was
the origin of the grant.

Like Matt Dillon and Best Internet did with the Soft Updates
code, a local administrator could use it, but it could not
be distributed in a usable form.

Actually, this brings up a seperate sticky legal point,
which is how the assets of Best Internet were transferred
when it was sold, since I assume that the machines that had
Soft Updates on them kept Soft Updates on them.  I suppose
that the new owners could have rebuilt the kernels on all
the machines, getting identical kernels, after first booting
to a non-Soft Updates kernel for the transfer of legal
posession.

Distribution of a binary kernel module would really depend on
whether you could get away with treating a kernel as a library,
under the GPL allowing the linking of GPL'ed programs against
system libraries.  You have to wonder if a kernel module is a
program or just a program component, with the kernel being
the program.  BeOS side-steps this for non-boot drivers by
running the driver in a user space process, so it's provably
a program.

Anyway, that's the kind of hoop-jumping that you _could_ do
to get around the problem (maybe).  I have no idea what the
transfer of ownership caluses in the GPL would do if a company
were to IPO, for example, or what the concept of "publically
held" would mean on that context (since anyone who holds the
ownership of the software can demand the source, and the source
itself is not legal to distribute, under the conflicting
licenses).

Not really my problem, though, since I tend to try to avoid
just this sort of entanglement.  So did IBM, when I was
working for them.  8-).

[ ... boot MTBF ... ]

>   Mirror the boot partition with vinum?

I'm not sure this works yet.  Hardware RAID mirroing certainly
would, since it'd have to deal with the BIOS boot device issue.

> > I rather suspect that the GPL was intentionally chosen by SGI
> > to permit them to jump on the Linux/Open Source bandwagon,
> > without exposing them to the risk of a commercial organization
> > which competes with SGI being able to benefit from the technology
>
>   This is unquestionably true.  I have word from some of the architects
> who helped design XFS that this was exactly the reason GPL was chosen
> over the BSD license.

I had a pretty long discussion with their V.P. of engineering,
who made the decision (they have a number of "V.P. of engineering"
lying around).  He didn't come out and say the same thing, and I
really didn't attribute it to that, since it means that any bug
fixes are GPL-code derived, and therefore also GPL.  That would
mean that they really don't expect any useful work to come out of
the Linux community, or that they expected people to just sign
over rights to anything interesting, which I think would be a bit
naieve, to say the least.

FYI: Followups set to -chat...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org