Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:30:19 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Summary of List of things to move from main tree to ports

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 11:22:17PM -0800, Matt Dillon wrote:
>     Ok, here's my summary.  Yah yah, I inject my own opinions.  Too bad.
>     This will be my last posting on the topic.
>

> Least Controversial:
>
> Medium Controversial:
>
>     UUCP (uucp, uucpd)

[snip]

> 	There are fewer people screaming for UUCP to stay in the base tree
> 	then, say, people screaming for rlogind to stay in the base tree.
> 	Despite Terry's waxing poetic about UUCP's dialup capabilities,
> 	every soul I know (except maybe Terry) who has ever used UUCP in the
> 	past no longer does (and I should know:  I wrote AmigaUUCP!).
> 	However, if those people are going to make a big deal about it,
> 	I suppose we can take the intermediate step of having a BUILD_UUCP
> 	make.conf (opt-in) option for the next few years.

Just a minor comment-with-a-question.  What is UUCP used for - mainly mail?
If so, then here's a datapoint - about two years ago I took part in
converting an existing UUCP mail transfer config to one using fetchmail.
Quite simple - invoke fetchmail -d from the PPP link-up script, kill it
in the link-down script in such a way that it sends a QUIT to avoid
message duplicates.  There were a couple of other issues too, but in
the end, it all started working, and it's been working flawlessly for
the past two years.

When I compared a five-line .fetchmailrc to the UUCP configuration
(that I, admittedly, did not quite understand, since I had had no part
in setting it up), I was, like.. well, you can imagine :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on