Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:57:23 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, josb@cncdsl.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:31:52AM -0500, Randell Jesup wrote:
>         Fetching the data out of a kernel service on each access would be
> (potentially) a pretty major hit, performance-wise.  Some form of
> registration of interest in the data would be better.  Either something
> like the Amiga (get a signal/message/callback/whatever when it changes,
> then request the new information), or something that passes the
> notification along with the new data.

It would be fairly trivial to monitor a configuration file with kevent,
which would generate a notice whenever the file is changed/copied/renamed,
etc.  I believe that John-Mark Gurney had patches somewhere to implement
exactly this for inetd.

The problem is that under our current model, the administrators do not
expect writes to the file to take immediate effect, and this immediately
breaks POLA.  So while it could be done, it may not be a good idea.  At
the very least, I would argue that it should be hidden behind a flag option.
--
Jonathan