Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:00:24 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Richard Ward" <mh@neonsky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Output files

Hi Richard,

> For some odd reason, about a week ago my FreeBSD 4.1.1-stable machine
> stopped generating statistics (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
> run/security) and I was wondering what might of caused this.  Also,
> how would I be able to generate these statistics on demand? Could
> there be a verbose way of seeing what it does, so that I could check
> for errors in it's gathering of information?

Well, if you look in /etc/crontab you will see that these are all
output by the "periodic" script (which is in /usr/sbin).

So the two most likely sources of problem are:

	cron

	periodic

I would probably consider a cron problem much more likely, so...

	Is cron still running (try "ps wwax | more")?

	Is /etc/crontab still there, and does it still have the
	entries for periodic dialy/weekly/monthly?

	Is it logging errors in /var/log/cron when it tries to
	run periodic?

And yes, you should be able to get this info manually by running
periodic yourself, which will email you the results as usual, or
you can create your own periodic.conf to get something else to
happen.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319