Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:24:25 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        "Riley J. McIntire" <rjmcintire@earthlink.net>
Cc:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Forwarding a mail file

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 10:55:45AM -0800, Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> I have a user with a large mail file, /var/mail/user, that does not use the
> account.  I need to send all this mail to her isp mail account before I
> delete her.  Doing each piece manually is tedious, as is walking her through
> setting up a temporary pop3 account on her single _phone_ line.

I'll try to offer a solution before you have to explain yourself a
third time.  (I feel your pain.)

Install formail, which comes with procmail (/usr/ports/mail/procmail).
It has to ability to split up a mail spool and pipe each message to a
command:

formail -s command < /var/spool/foo

splits up foo into single messages, and pipes each to command.  So I
think you can do what you want with:

formail -s sendmail -oi her@new.email.address < /var/mail/her_old_spool

I tested essentially the same thing with my mail spool and another
account of mine.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *