Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:52:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   revising the package building (Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/Image Magick Makefile pkg-descr pkg-p list)

On 13 Mar, Will Andrews wrote:
= On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 05:54:20PM -0500, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
= > A lot of ports have WITH and WITHOUT options. Honoring them all with
= > a  separate sub-port  would explode  the  ports tree.  Think of  the
= > amount of  permutations of mod_php, ghostscript,  or postgresql will
= > have. Is  NO_X --  an exception?  May be... I'll  do what  my mentor
= > tells me to.
=
= Will's principle: If it's not your port, it's not your problem.

It's nobody's :-( ...

= I dislike creating  new directories just for certain  options too, but
= the way bento builds packages severely limits our options. There was a
= huge discussion about this last  September (see: "ports options paper"
= I wrote), and according to Satoshi some years ago as well.

Perhaps,  bento's script  needs  to be  modified. I'll  even  say it  is
broken, because  it assumes  the one-to-one  relation between  ports and
packages.

It can have a list of "interesting" options, and will try to produce the
name of each  package with and without this  options (all permutations).
If a new  name is obtained --  the port is rebuilt with  that option set
and the new package is created -- from the same port.

This way, the  decision, which options are worthy is  centralized, but a
port's maintainer  can turn  the separate  package build  on and  off by
modifying the  package name  (typicly -- by  altering the  prefix and/or
suffix). And there is now need to add another port per option.

How is that?

	-mi	(ducking, 'cause he did not read his mentor's paper)