Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:44:59 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        David Reid <dreid@jetnet.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:34:23PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> I'm getting a No such file or directory when I try to mount a CDROM with
> 4-STABLE.  I've seen some stuff about this and have tried as many of the
> suggestions as I can, but no joy.  The CDROM is a pccard one so I'm
> wondering if that'll be the cause?  Laptop is a Vaio and pccard did
> eventually find the CDROM when I inserted it, but it took a while and there
> was an error message
>
> ata4-slave: identify retries exceeded
>
> It found the unit as
>
> acd0: CDROM <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-7002Bc> at ata4-master using BIOSPIO
>
> Anyone any ideas?

you might want to give the actual error message, as that will make things
easier to diagnose.  the output of dmesg and the kernel config are also useful
to see.

(not that i'll be able to solve it based on that, but i imagine it will help
someone who knows more about such things than i do)

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would