Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:56:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountd

:>     In regards to /usr/src and /usr/obj.  What I normally do is export
:>     /usr/src AND /usr/obj from the NFS server, both read-only.  I do all
:>     builds on the server and then install them from the clients (i.e. I
:>     never actually build the world on a client).  Same goes with kernels
:>     for the clients... build on the server, install from the client.
:>
:> 						-Matt
:
:This is good.  A more generic approach would be to mount the directories you wish to export using nullfs or unionfs -r to another directory, e.g /nfs/<directory>.  Then export /nfs/<directory>.  Of course this depends on nullfs and unionfs not panicking your system.  Other than the bugs in nullfs and unionfs, assuming that the bugs will get fixed one day, does anyone see any problems or security implications with this approach?
:
:--
:Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
:Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766

    I would recommend against using nullfs or unionfs for this purpose, as
    these filesystems have (I believe) known issues with mmap() and source
    and object files are mmap()'d all the time.

					-Matt