Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:47:02 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>, michael@tenzo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Naming ethernet NICs

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:11:49AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> No, that's not what I meant.  Note that in that post I
> never said that I _didn't like_ having to test each port. :-)
>
> What I was merely point out is that the original poster was
> saying that the "eth0, eth1, eth2..." way of doing things is
> superior, and I was just responding that "no, it has problems
> too, such as matching up ports to nics" then following it
> with an example of ed0, ed1, ed2...  I figured that the poster
> would be able to grasp that there's no difference between
> eth0, eth1, eth2,,, and ed0, ed1, ed2,,, for what he seemed
> to think was desirable behavior for having everything named
> the same.
>
> As a matter of fact, I actually don't advocate using different
> NICS in routers, because if they are all the same then you
> can make a custom compiled kernel a little smaller since you
> only have to include 1 nic driver in it.

I actually keep different NICs in my router. The extra space used is
trivial; PicoBSD still fits on a single floppy. The reason isn't
technical, it's just so that I can remember what NIC is what. I touch
the box less often than every month, and I don't remember if it's ed1 or
ed0 that is connected to my cable modem. But I do remember that dc0 is
connected to my hub, which means ed0 must be connected to my cable
modem.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx