Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:46:00 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump very slow in 4.3-RELEASE?

In message <3AE70294.90405@quack.kfu.com>, Nick Sayer writes:
> Nick Sayer wrote:
>
> > Amanda has begun timing out one of my slower clients. I have tracked this
> > down and it appears to be the fact that generating the estimates takes
> > much, much longer now than it used to.
> >

> Just to add more info... I don't think write cache has anything to do
> with it because
>
> 1. dump is read-only.
>
> 2. 'dump 0fhs /dev/null 0 1048576 /usr' takes a half hour, but 'dump 0fs
> /dev/null 1048576 /usr' takes 15 seconds (remember, we're only
> interested in getting the estimate at the end of Pass II).
>
> I've opened a PR.

There was some discussion about this on this list a couple of weeks ago
shortly after the traverse.c patch was MFC'd.  The conclusion at that
time was that this was to be expected.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC