Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "G.W.Roberts" <"mas039"@bangor.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/26686: Freeze at boot from 4.3-RC4 floopies - USB conflict?

The following reply was made to PR bin/26686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "G.W.Roberts" <"mas039"@bangor.ac.uk>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, lazaro@online.no
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:11:01 +0100

 I have also had a similar problem which I've found to be caused by the
 ex driver causing ne2000 boards (ed0) to freeze the machine.   The
 effect does vary; some slightly different models of ne2000 boards
 tolerate the ex driver, but then work at a reduced speed.
 Under 3.x the ex device could be disabled from the kernel configuration
 editor, but under 4.x it does not appear (why not?), so cannot be
 disabled.  I have to build a new kernel (omitting the ex driver,
 together with other options to reduce the kernel size appropriately)
 strip it, compress it and copy it to the boot floppy.  It would be very
 convenient if this problem was solved!

 Gareth.

 --
 Dr G W Roberts                             Dr G W Roberts
 Adran Mathemateg                           Department of Mathematics

 Email: G.W.Roberts@bangor.ac.uk
 Tel:   +44 (0)1248 382480
 Ffacs: +44 (0)1248 361429
 WWW: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ma