Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 16:37:33 -0700
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Background Fsck

Sorry for the slow response, but I did not ignore your email :-)
I believe that I have found and fixed the bug that was causing
the errors that you have reported below.

	Kirk

=-=-=-=-=-=

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:12:36 +0200
From: "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
To: Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc: arch@FreeBSD.ORG

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:38:42PM -0800, Kirk McKusick wrote:
[...]
>                         In general `fsck -p' will not fix
> everything, but `fsck -y' should always succeed (though
> success may be an empty filesystem).

This made me remember a problem I see on a -current machine
(rebuild yesterday):

    THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
       ufs: /dev/da0s1f (/var)
    Automatic file system check failed . . . help!
    Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
    # fsck -y /var
    ** /dev/da0s1f
    ** Last Mounted on /var
    ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=31753
    UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
    INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=39698 (1904 should be 1808)
    CORRECT? yes

    PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=87341
    UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
    ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
    ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
    ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
    ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
    FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
    SALVAGE? yes

    SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
    SALVAGE? yes

    BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
    SALVAGE? yes

    391 files, 128648 used, 407159 free (351 frags, 50851 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)

    ***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED CLEAN *****

    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    # fsck -y /var
    ** /dev/da0s1f
    ** Last Mounted on /var
    ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
    PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=31753
    UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
    PARTIALLY TRUNCATED INODE I=87341
    UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
    ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
    ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
    ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
    ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
    391 files, 128648 used, 407159 free (351 frags, 50851 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
    # tunefs -p /var
    tunefs: soft updates:  (-n)                                enabled
    tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               15
    tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   0 ms
    tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  2048
    tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             8%
    tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time

As I read your mail, this should not be possible, or?

> 	Kirk

TIA,
Niels Chr.

--
 Niels Christian Bank-Pedersen, NCB1-RIPE.
 Network Manager, Tele Danmark NET, IP-section.

 "Hey, are any of you guys out there actually *using* RFC 2549?"