Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 10:53:06 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :)

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 12:11:58PM -0400, Jim Mock wrote:
> This once again brings up the topic of a "New Users Handbook".  I
> started work on this last year at USENIX (almost a year ago now), but
> due to a lack of general interest and a lack of time on my part, I
> haven't touched it since (as a matter of fact, I'm not sure if I even
> still have it).  If you're wondering what I'm talking about, take a look
> at the -doc mailing list archives from June-July of last year.

   Randy Pratt's Install Preview document looks interesting for new
users.  He's got tens of screenshots of the boot process and
sysinstall to complement a step-by-step installation walk through.
After all the 45+ minute calls I've witnessed here at BSDi where some
unfortunate tech has to walk someone through sysinstall, I can
definitely see where this document could be useful.

   His original HTML version is linked from the tutorials section of
the web site, and I've got him started on a conversion to DocBook so
we can import it to the tree :

http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/install/article.html (apologies, I
should have built this with html-split)

http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/install/article.sgml

   The conversion to DocBook is only about half done.

	- Murray