Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 23:49:20 -0400
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG, jake@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, bp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: please review, that pesky vm lock

* Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> [010518 23:04] wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein writes:
>  > * Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net> [010517 04:11] wrote:
>  > > The giant vm lock is pretty stable.  The patch is here:
>  > >   http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vm.diff
>  > >
>  >
>  > Updated patch is at the above url, several things were fixed:
>
> Two questions:
>
> Are you planning to make a pass through the MD code of other archs
> such as alpha & ia64 prior to commit?  If not, please give me a heads
> up of at least 24-48 hours before you commit so that I can do alpha.
> I'd rather you did it, but I'm willing to take it on if nobody else
> is...

I'm sorry, I had the patchset up for quite a while and committed it
shortly before getting your message.

As far as the alpha/ia64 the fixes should be trivial, you basically
have:

.) a couple of places where you'll catch assertions unless the
   vm lock is held,
.) the chance to remove aquiring Giant from trap()
.) a couple of places where you'll need to include sys/mutex.h to
   squash compiler errors.

> Also, a number of files in the patch appear to have the addition of
> #include <sys/mutex.h> as their only change (coda/coda_namecache.c,
> linprocfs_misc.c, etc).  Is this intentional?

Yes, because of inline functions in the vm headers they require
that certain defines are present for the assertions and structures
used in those inlines.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"