Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 12:52:46 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
Cc:        "Keith Spencer" <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail is broken...I am in deep here Help please!

dougy@brizzie.org said:
> I had a poke through sendmail docs & couldn't see much difference
> between the versions used with FreeBSD 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 . The only
> files I've ever needed to edit are as listed below, so maybe any
> changes don't affect those

> etc/hosts, etc/hosts-allow

I assume you mean /etc/hosts.allow?  These files are not part of the
sendmail-specific configuration, and as such haven't been changed by
sendmail.

> etc/mail/access etc/mail/sendmail.cw etc/mail/relay-domains

The location of all these files is defined in sendmail.cf.  If you
use an old sendmail.cf, you'll get the old locations as well.

Note, for example, that the default name that used to be "sendmail.cw"
is now "local-host-names".  If you were to rebuild from a ".mc" file
without explicitly defining confCW_FILE, then it would no longer
read "sendmail.cw", looking instead for "local-host-names".

The problems are more where you need to graft something from a new
configuration into an old configuration file.  The number of internal
dependencies in a sendmail.cf is great, and grafting may not maintain
those dependencies.  However, the problem that Keith is having is due
to a change in the file locking that isn't supported by his configuration.
It's either graft or rebuild from a ".mc".  Since most people don't want
to get their hands dirty with hacking into sendmail.cf, I'm assuming he
doesn't want to go through and check the dependencies, in which case he
should start with a sendmail.cf that matches the current version of
sendmail, either by rebuilding from a ".mc", or by starting with a
current sendmail.cf and re-implementing his customisations.

Personally, I prefer to start from a ".mc" because it also produces
warning messages about obsolete features, and so on.  It's also easier
to compare a 10 or 20 line ".mc" than the ~1500 line sendmail.cf...

YMMV,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319