Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 20:43:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@icubed.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP Question

"Christopher W. Aiken" writes:
> I have a file on my office pc (SuSE 7.1 Linux) that shows
> a size of 46592 (ls -l).  If I ssh in to my office pc, through
> my ISP dialup connection, and try to ftp the file back to my
> home pc (FreeeBSD 4.2) I only get 8760 bytes transfered before
> ftp "stalls" out.
>
> I ftp'd the file to my ISP's shell account and try to ftp the file
> from my ISP to my home pc and again only 8760 bytes transfered before
> ftp "stalls" out.
>
> Any clues as to why?  What is so special about 8760?  I can
> scp the file back and forth in both directions from my ISP
> and my office pc to my home pc w/o any problems.

8760 is 1460 * 6, or 40 octets short of the common 1500 MTU. And if my
memory serves correctly the TCP header plus ethernet header is 40. Or
maybe its PPPoE that's 40.

Some ISP's insert "transparent" network cache servers between their
customers and the outside world. Pretty sure some installations of @Home
do this. Know the defunct ISPchannel.com used to. The only reason I know
is that they didn't always work. They can't mess with scp, so scp gets
thru unmolested.

Was thinking there was an easy way to put ftpd on another port number
that you could play with and see if you could fool whatever it is
between here and there. Didn't see it on first glance thru ftpd(8).

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net