Date:      Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:41:16 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Chris Fedde" <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, "j mckitrick" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: is c-forge worth the trouble?

On Sat, 26 May 2001 00:07:04 -0600, Chris Fedde wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2001 18:29:08 +0100  j mckitrick wrote:
> +------------------
> |
> | or am i better of using standard console tools?
> | jcm
> +------------------

>My self? I usually need a pretty good reason to part with
>good cash for software.

Many programs have a trial mode, hopefully long enough so people
can see if it fits their needs.

>I find that almost nothing lives up to it's marketing claims.

I don't know if it runs on FreeBSD, but if Kylix is anything at
all as good as Delphi, that is probably the best tool around.
Some people may not like it is Object Pascal, but for those of
us who have never liked C/C++/Java Delphi/Kylix is an excellent
alternative.

>YMMV but for me four or five xterms running gcc, gdb, make, man, bash with
>lots of command history, nvi with a few good macros, and ctags

It's like mail clients. Sure a text based MUA works, but there
are so many niceties that can be had with a graphical program..
For instance completion is one of my biggest favorites.
Specially when it works to complete variable names and methods
of a variable.