Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/27970: cp -pR does not preserve modification times of the directories if they are not empty

The following reply was made to PR bin/27970; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To: christophe.deroulers@ens.fr
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:55:13 +0300

 On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 10:35:52AM -0700, christophe.deroulers@ens.fr wrote:

 > >Number:         27970
 > >Category:       bin
 > >Synopsis:       cp -pR does not preserve modification times of the directories if they are not empty
 > >Originator:     Christophe Deroulers
 > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
 > >Environment:
 > FreeBSD pc-aa3.ens.fr 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT 2000     jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

 >  If a directory is not empty, cp -pR will correctly set the modification time of the directory after copy but will overwrite it with the current time when it will add the files inside the directory.
 >
 >  A similar problem occured with OpenBSD cp's and it was fixed some days ago, so it probably comes from the base code taken from BSD.
 >
 >  NB This is maybe the same problem as bin/16155.
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >  mkdir a
 >  touch a/b
 >  touch -m -t 01010000 a
 > # a has now time January, 1st at 00:00
 >  cp -pR a b
 > # b should have time January, 1st but has not.
 >
 > >Fix:
 >  Look at OpenBSD cp bug fix ?

 Even before looking at this in detail, I feel like it might be very
 similar to the one in PR bin/20646..  And apparently the patch in
 bin/20646 does not quite fix it - I can reproduce this here, although
 I'm running with that patch.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --