Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 11:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Pulford <mark@kyne.com.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21941: MPI programs compiled with NAG F95 die with a SEGFAULT

The following reply was made to PR ports/21941; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Pulford <mark@kyne.com.au>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 04:17:05 +0930

 Forwarded discussion with Andreas' permission.

 ----- Forwarded message from Andreas Schweitzer <andy@physast.uga.edu> -----

 Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:20:13 -0400
 From: Andreas Schweitzer <andy@physast.uga.edu>
 To: Mark Pulford <mark@kyne.com.au>
 Subject: Re: FreeBSD NAG/mpich problem, PR 21941

 Hi Mark,

 > I've just been looking through some old PRs without resolution and I
 > came across:
 >
 > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=21941

 Thanks a lot for looking into this !

 > I was wondering if you are still experiencing this problem, or if you
 > have more information? I've had a bit of a search around to see if
 > this has been noticed by anyone else. The most I've found is that
 > mpich is picky with how it gets compiled with fortran.

 Yes, that's the reason.
 It was indeed MPICH. Sorry to not report on that.
 I *think* the latest MPICH version has that fixed.
 However, it does not appear on the MPICH problem page.
 It has to do with argument passing and how the compiler
 gets called from the compiler wrapper.
 We got a fix from the MPICH folks.

 > >From the information in your PR it seems like it is most likely a
 > problem between mpich & NAG. If you like, I can close this PR for you.

 Yes, it can be closed

 I dug out an e-mail with the fix and include it below

 Cheers
 Andreas

 <--------------- e-mail conversation with MPICH about the same bug ---------------------------->

 Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:43:25 -0400
 From: Andreas Schweitzer <andy@physast.uga.edu>
 To: mpi-maint@mcs.anl.gov
 Cc: swider@mcs.anl.gov, Andreas Schweitzer <andy@bender.physast.uga.edu>
 Subject: Re: [MPI #5583] [swider@mcs.anl.gov: Possible bug in MPICH 1.2.1 with NAG F95 compiler on FreeBSD]

 Thanks a lot for helping us.
 This does indeed work.

 We even have an alternate fix :-)
 Before the configure step one could do :

 export FXX_MODULE="        use f90_unix_env"
 export F77_GETARG="call getarg(i,arg=s)"
 export F77_IARGC="iargc()"

 then, it works, too.

 As far as we can see, the linker in FreeBSD 4.X changed
 significantly (in fact it improved), which seems to
 be resonsible for this.

 Thanks again
 Andreas Schweitzer

 ----- End forwarded message -----