Date:      12 Jun 2001 05:09:23 -0000
From:      scorpio@drkshdw.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/28091: DELETE port games/agm

>Number:         28091
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       AGM is no longer supported/offered by the author
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD jeff.isni.net 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #4: Wed May 16 12:55:48 EDT 2001 root@jeff.isni.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FreeBSD i386

Port fails to download the distfiles.  I have contacted the author of the port.
He no longer offers the program,  and he reccomends it be removed from the tree in favor of
other programs.

(Please see attached email)

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

Entire email with author pasted, so hopefully it can be eliminated quickly.

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:15:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Fraser McCrossan <joat@joat.ca>
To: Jeff Palmer <scorpio@drkshdw.org>
Subject: Re: AGM?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Jeff Palmer wrote:

> However,  I no longer see agm listed in your downloads area...
> Do you intend to put a download link on your website,  or
>   should I recommend the agm port be removed from the
>   FreeBSD ports tree?

I withdrew agm after finding several much faster and more efficient
programs that do essentially the same thing. That being the case, I would
agree with your suggestion that it be removed from the ports tree.

One of the programs (called The Amazing Anagram Thingie) did
in seconds what agm took hours or days to do. I'd recommend you track it
down and add it to the ports tree in the place of agm.

Incidentally, I believe TAAT was based on an Obfuscated C Code Contest
entry, which is thus doubly humiliating for me :-)

Regards,
       Fraser