Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:59:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        booloo@cats.ucsc.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partioning recommendations for server with a lot of disk

> I've got a server which is used primarily for monitoring network
> utilization.  The box produces lots and lots of graphs using RRDTOOL
> and NRG and is generally I/O bound (at least, the old server was -
> hopefully the new box won't have that problem).

> What I've got is effectively a 50 GB disk (RAID 0 over three 18 GB disks)
> which I need to partition.  Most the servers I've deployed over the past
> couple of years I've built with just swap and /, and I really like the
> simplicity of that.  Perhaps I suffer some increased exposure to the
> consequences of disk errors in this configuration, but the tradeoff with
> never having to worry about a partition filling (before a disk fills) has,
> to date, paid off.
>
> However, with 50GB, I'm feeling less comfortable with the big / and nothing
> else.  Can anyone offer advice as to why I might prefer multiple partitions
> instead of one big one (or vice-versa)?   I saw Greg Lehey's email from
> last December in which he says the new version of his book will recommend
> swap and / for up to 4 GB filesystems.  Why cap it at 4 GB?

Because that's a convenient size for backups, and it's about as big as
you need for a standard installation.

Note that 4 GB is pretty small nowadays.  You might find it more
convenient to go significantly larger.  I was really addressing the
complex /, /usr and /var.  In particular, the default size for /var is
20 MB, which is just plain ridiculous.  It's almost certainly too
small for any serious server work, but it might be too large for a
workstation, so I'm saying "don't bother".

If you have a reason for a larger /var, that's fine.  In that case,
I'd make a separate /var file system and leave just / and /usr in the
4 GB.  Basically, the bottom line is "understand what your
requirements are and choose accordingly".

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.