Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:11:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        bmah@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELNOTESng problems

>From bmah@cisco.com  Wed Jun 13 12:49:11 2001
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
>Cc: bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: RELNOTESng problems
>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:43:50 -0700
>
>If memory serves me right, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> >buildworld/installworld doesn't do this.  I didn't even consider this,
>> >because this would make buildworld and installworld take even longer
>> >than they do now.  :-)
>>
>> Ok; makes sense.  In that case some explicit instructions
>> as to How To Do This sould be a Good Thing(tm).  :)
>
>I *thought* I did this in src/release/doc/README but maybe I didn't
>give enough details.  I'll see what I can do about this.....

Thanks...

>> This rings of /stand/sysinstall, which, btw, I've seen no
>> instructions for building, other than the occasional
>> mailing-list reminder(?)
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
>has a section on "Update /stand".

So noted; thanks... :)

>> Kernel maintenance being separate from {build,install}world
>> is well-documented, but sysinstall & now release-docs seem
>> to not be.  ??
>
>sysinstall is fine.  I wonder if the makeworld instructions should now
>mention the release documentation.

*Yes* (!)  :)

>> >When the build is done, you can point a Web browser at the subdirectorie
>> >s under /usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/ and read the HTML files
>> >there. If you did the build with additional document FORMATS (i.e "make
>> >'FORMATS=html pdf txt'") you'll see the other output files there as well.
>>
>> Excellent; I think it would be a Good Idea(tm) to place
>> something like the above instructions in someplace like
>> src/UPDATING or src/release/texts/*.  Maybe it'll help
>> head-off some mailing-list-semi-noise(?)  :)
>
>src/release/texts/README points you to src/release/doc/README.
>
>src/release/doc/README has some instructions that perhaps don't give as
>much detail as they should.  :-p

Yes, some more detail would appear to be a Good Thing(tm). :)

>I'll ask imp to put an item in src/UPDATING about RELNOTESng for both
>-CURRENT and 4-STABLE.

Sounds like a Good Idea. :)

>> So I guessed (lotsa discussion in some place like -doc);
>> that's why I'm not sanguine to stirring up a ruckus,
>> especially here on -stable.  There are Good Reasons(tm) for
>> having done this; I guess it's safe to say that there are
>> still a few "rough edges."  :)
>
>You bet.  Thanks for your comments...we'll try to get better...
>
>Bruce.

And thank *you*.  But...  It's still broke; I cvsup'ed late
last night (Thursday, 21 June) CDT, *after* the src/doc
commits & your heads-up to -stable & it still doesn't build on my box.

Here are the last few lines from "make" while in /usr/src/release/doc:

/usr/local/bin/jade:E: cannot open "/usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/alpha/../../../../../../doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/catalog" (No such file or directory)
/usr/local/bin/jade:E: cannot open "/usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/alpha/../../../../../../doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/share/sgml/catalog" (No such file or directory)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/relnotes/alpha.