Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 08:05:31 +0200
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

	Emphasis on this word _________________________________^^^^^^^^

JS> Reading that para (plus the ones before that), effectively tells you
JS> that -STABLE is what you should use for err.... maximum stability. You
JS> get the bugfixes and security fixes that aren't in -RELEASE.

	Reading further will show that this comes with an *inevitable* price namely
that you have to read -stable and be sensible about it.

JS> So... you need to track -STABLE, right?

JS> :: the peculiar make used by FreeBSD.  What we need is an apt-get-like
JS> :: upgrade path for security fixes that solves the problem of people

	The new security fix only branch should serve this need nicely. Now -stable
is only needed for those who want/need to track bug fixes and new features.

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

	 	        http://www.best.com/~sohara