Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:07:39 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@mail.cicely.de>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 03:20:02AM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> [ moving from developers@ to arch@ ]
>
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 12:51:55AM -0700, Jason Evans (jasone@canonware.com) wrote:
> > This unfortunately means that FreeBSD will not be able to use the next
> > release of nvi as part of the base system.  In other words, we're going to
> > have to fork nvi.  Yuck.
>
> OR... import Vim and get rid of nvi?  :-)

What is wrong with nvi?
The current nvi seems to work and nearly all files havn't been changed
for years which mean there isn't much to maintain.
Is there realy a reason to have the latest version?

I personaly don't like vim because it's different undo, mysterious
window and multiple file management and would like to stay with nvi.
As an example I'm used to open a new window with :N or Prev.
I never understood how to add and remove filenames to vim list while
there wasn't a problem to learn how nvi does.

> If you distribute a modified version of Vim, you are encouraged to send the
> maintainer a copy, including the source code.  Or make it available to the
> maintainer through ftp; let him know where it can be found.  If the number of
> changes is small (e.g., a modified Makefile) e-mailing the diffs will do.
> When the maintainer asks for it (in any way) you must make your changes,
> including source code, available to him.

Is the last sentence that different from the DB3 licence where you have
to distribute the source of your product?
You have the make sources available any way.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de