Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:23:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      kesu <kesu@kesuki.dyndns.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Need help limiting bandwith ARP uses over cable modem.

Well I have a very low bandwith cap on my cable modem, and as soon
as the modem reconnects i am flooded with about 7,000 ARP requests.
(in the first 3 minutes) this can literally cause any number of tcp
packets to get dropped.  since arp tends to be more forgiving than
tcp (especially for realtime situations) I would like to cap the
ARP protocols bandwith usage to 64 Killobits per second in both
directions over the cable modems interface.
I have ipfw configured and in the kernel, and anyone who could tell me how
to limit the bandwith of ARP would really help me get a more consistant
experience from my cable modem.

--- 12:00PM up 21 days, 11:49, 11 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Fortune of the day:
"I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my
sister."