Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:07:17 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdate gripe...

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> [010730 16:01] wrote:
[re: speeding up freeing of space when using softupdates]

> If you want to accellerate the release of blocks issue a couple
> of sync(1) commands:
>
> sync;sync;sync;
>
> which will 'accelerate' the free'ing of space, actually it will
> accellerate the writing of the meta data that will actually free
> up the space.

Let me add that this will not _really_ accelerate the process, it
may give you instant gratification where you'll see a bunch of
space, but by issuing a sync you're actually going to slow down
the removal of files in the long run.  Basically for speed you
don't want to issue a sync until the rm command completes, if at
all since the sync will also muck with other disk activity.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?