Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:04:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

In article <200108111954.f7BJscE19607@earth.backplane.com>,
Matt Dillon  <dillon@earth.backplane.com> wrote:
> :Finally, most keyboard/mouse/monitor switches don't work with
> :FreeBSD; for example, the Belkin console extender that uses the
> :ethernet cable doesn't work at all (it's the best one out there),
> :and the local wiring (non-ethernet version) of the Belkin OmniView
> :switches work if the FreeBSD mouse/keyboard is selected at boot
> :time, so that the aggressive probe/attach can satisfy itself.
> :
> :Belkin went out of its way to support FreeBSD specifically,
> :actually: their firmware version 1.9 fixes the local wiring
> :switches, so that they can pass FreeBSD's aggressive probe, even
> :if the FreeBSD mouse/keyboard is _not_ selected.
> :
> :
> :For PC hardware, FreeBSD should use the BIOS (it can, now: the
> :boot loader does, with the caveat that old style keyboards can
> :be used, but are not autodetected properly by some BIOS; see the
> :serial console notes for the /boot.config "-P" flag in the FreeBSD
> :handbook); for the Alpha and other hardware, it should use the
> :local firmware (obviously).
> :
> :-- Terry
>
>     This has been a pet peeve of mine too.  It is an unbelievably annoying
>     trait of FreeBSD (the keyboard problem), and the mouse problem is also
>     quite annoying.

I have no argument about the keyboard probes.  I just want to add
that in the case of the Belkin OmniView, it should be noted that
Belkin shipped a bunch of them with a couple of EPROM chips swapped
accidentally.  There's a page on the Belkin web site that tells how to
check for it and how to fix it.  Once I put the chips into the right
sockets, my OmniView started working a _whole_ lot better. :-) The
weird thing is, it appeared to kind of sort of work most of the time
even before.  So all along I assumed it was just a poorly designed
device, when actually it was just assembled wrong.  (I still think
it's a poorly designed device, but it's a lot better than it was
before I swapped the chips.)

John