Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:54:59 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[3]: Host unable to  ping/access its own IPs

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Any WTF did it work for me the last couple of months on another
> machines with the proper netmask then?

I dont know. What I was saying is that the man page says that if you
need to have several IPs from the same subnet on the same interface,
the first one has the correct mask, and the rest have 0xffffffff.

> Remember: documenting a bug doesn't fix it (else MS soft would be
> much more stable....)

No, but it turns it into a feature. =0)

> But the above isn't correct. It strikes me for any two IPs from the
> same subnet, not only for such that are in the same subnet as the
> first one.

Read above: the first IP from *each* subnet must have the right mask. The
remaining Ips from those subnets must have 0xffffffff. I know, that is not
exactly what the man page says, but you can deduce it.

Again, I remenber a mail (to -questions o -hackers) explaining why it has
to be that way, and IIRC there is a good reason, but I dont have it handy.

				Fer