Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:21:40 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        pahowes@fair-ware.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

Jordan Hubbard writes:
> I don't know where you heard this from, but you heard entirely wrong.
> FreeBSD has always worked very well on AMD and Intel processors.  My
> personal machine has been a K7/900 for a long time now (Slot-A even)

No kidding. FreeBSD ran perfectly on even the short lived NexGen CPU.
Before AMD bought NexGen lock, stock, and barrel, then dismissed all
but the core 20 or so who designed the chip. Turned them loose inside
AMD over their existing CPU designers and the result (so far) has lead
to the Athlon.

Linux had some problems with the NexGen. Maybe Linux had problems with
the Athlon? I can't say not knowing.

I have an Asus A7V and Athlon 800. What problems I've had are the BIOS's
fault, not FreeBSD's. BIOS was so stupid it had to be told to reserve
IRQ 4 and 3 for serial ports. OTOH its nice to know they were
reassignable for other uses.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net