Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:01:09 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        H <hans@lambermont.dyndns.org>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symlink modes (once again probably)

Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 02:20:38PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas thus sprach:
> > hans@lambermont.dyndns.org wrote:
> >
> > Where does the manpage say that?
>
> Note that the dates relate to the time of the last makeworld and
> install world and is is release 4.4-RC.

Yep, that's what I was interested in.  The revision of the file.
Actually, the manpage I have (running 5.0-CURRENT) had this part removed.

The actual change that enabled the -h option happened in May 2001, as the
commit log says.

	revision 1.21
	date: 2001/05/28 15:31:11;  author: ru;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -8
	Change noop option -h to do the real work.  Now mode of symbolic link
	is changed if -h option is given.

	Requested by:   bde
	Obtained from:  NetBSD (code part)

This does not appear to have made it in RELENG_4_4 so far.

> Now let me ask the same question you ask of the original poster.
> Dates of your man, man sources, chmod.c and chmod.1  ?

I was a bit harsh in asking the exact version of your OS/manpage.
I'm running 5.0 compiled on Sep 10, 2001, and my options to find out anything
about why you see this difference was to skim through CVS logs, or ask.
My apologies if I sounded nasty :/

> It would interesting to see where the divergance occurs.

The change was committed in -CURRENT last May.
You can view what changed if you request a diff (from cvsweb.cgi) of
src/bin/chmod.c for versions 1.20 -> 1.21.

Perhaps ru@freebsd.org meant to MFC this, but didn't have the time to do it
before the release of 4.4.

-giorgos