Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:21:32 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <Rahul.Siddharthan@lpt.ens.fr>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choosing a soundcard.

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen said on Sep 21, 2001 at 16:26:45:
> You got aRts working with xmms??? Please mail me a binary!! I haven't been
> able to get it working here!

The binary is unchanged (use the FreeBSD port).  What you need to
do is compile the xmms arts plugin separately (can download from the
xmms web page, it compiled out of the box for me) and install it in
/usr/X11R6/lib/xmms/Output/  ("make install" should install it
ok, give the prefix as /usr/X11R6 when configuring).  I could email it
to you but it's probably better if you compile it yourself with your
installed xmms headers etc.

There's still an issue where it often complains of not being able to
load the arts plugin.  In that case you need to get hold of the
shared library libgcc.so (not compiled in gcc by default, but you can
get instructions on the web) and install it somewhere, say ~/lib,
and type (if csh/tcsh)
setenv LD_PRELOAD ~/lib/libgcc.so
before starting xmms.