Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:47:49 -0400
From:      Devin Smith <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   remote tar over ssh

I have an Onstream DI-30 Tape drive that only runs under linux. AFAIK,
tar is the only linux utility I have which properly writes to it.  It
needs to write in 32KB chunks, so

tar -b 64 -cvf /dev/ht0 <dir> is what I use to back up local files.

I need to tunnel a remote tar over ssh to the linux machine which has the
drive installed from my FBSD machine.

I have tried doing:

fbsd$ tar -b 64 -cvf - /tmp  | ssh root@backup dd of=/dev/ht0

but the tape drive does not seem to accept the data. It sounds as if the
backup is going fine, but when I try to extract the data from the tape
drive onto the linux machine:

backup$ tar -b 64 -xf /dev/ht0

nothing is on there.

I get the following error in my /var/log/messages:

Sep 21 16:39:50 backup sshd[8100]: Accepted publickey for ROOT from
10.0.0.5 port 4892 ssh2
Sep 21 16:39:51 backup kernel: ide-tape: Reached idetape_chrdev_open
Sep 21 16:40:03 backup kernel: ide-tape: ht0: use 32768 bytes as block
size (512 used)

any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to pipe the data over
to tar on the linux box and let tar do its work locally, but I can seem
to string anything together to make this work.

Thanks,
--devin

--
Devin Smith                | Master of nothing in particular
http://127.0.0.1           |