Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Satz <satz@iranger.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/30802: repeat of i386/22760. Adaptec SCSI controller cannot find disks after reboot

>Number:         30802
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       repeat of i386/22760. Adaptec SCSI controller cannot find disks after reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Rebooting a running 4.4-Stable FreeBSD system results in the adaptec 2740 bios in not finding any SCSI disks. The apaptec BIOS complains about a SCSI inquiry timeout. I have v1.1 of the adaptec bios. After the inquiry timeout error, the message "no disks to boot" pops up.

Resetting the system with ctrl-alt-del results in the same error. Only power cycling the system allows the adaptec to find its disks. This occured during the 4.1 development cycle and I reported the problem in i386/22760. At some point during the 4.1/4.2 release cycle, the problem disappeared. I was then able ot reboot my system and have it come all the way up without any problems.

It looks like somehow 4.4 (and the older 4.1) adaptec 2740 driver leaves the controller in a state that the motherboard BIOS cannot reset it. 4.4 nor ny of the boot loaders ever get to run once it is in this state so I don't know how to get any register information except to dump them at system shutdown.