Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:08:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Alley <alley1@llnl.gov>
To:        grog@freebsd.org, tedm@toybox.placo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

I looked through TOG web page and found their UNIX specification.
Its clear to me that this whole thing is a morass that FreeBSD should not
mess with. Ted is correct. Just get the FreeBSD page in compliance. We can't
win against this kind of thing.

FreeBSD must now beg the question as to what is meant by an OS that USED
to be called UNIX. The Open Group is changing the meaning of UNIX before
our eyes.

Even so they are brain-dead about history and facts. Whenever I start my
system the fortune program entertains me with something. The other day
I got this:

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
		-- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

To see how brain-dead they are I have extracted parts of a paragraph from
their specification where they inadvertantly ADMIT that BSD is UNIX!
(I have included the URL below).

"When the survey was complete, ... blah blah ... Berkeley UNIX calls ...
blah, blah, ... on BSD-derived platforms. Such things as sockets and the
4.3BSD memory management calls were commonly used ...."

So they admit that BSD is UNIX. Ted is correct, The Open Group is only
after money. I don't think that they are clueless though; I think that
they know exactly what they are doing: They are protecting what they
view as their property. They are also in a very powerful legal position.

The problem goes back to ATT. The name "UNIX" for all of us meant how
an OS operated or behaved. However, to Bell Labs UNIX is a trademark.
Somewhere along the way ATT saw that they could make money off of the
name (they were in trouble anyway) and that's where the problems began.
Books like Kernigan and Pike's "The UNIX Programming Environment" had the
warning on the inside of the front cover: UNIX is a trademark of Bell
Laboratories. Even the classic K/R: "The C Programming Language" tells us
"UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T". So ATT looked at the name
"UNIX" as their property (like a phone or something), but most of us
thought of it as a process or a way of working.

The Opengroup UNIX specification web page:

 http://www.unix-systems.org/what_is_unix/single_unix_specification.html