Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 05:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/31134: /etc/rc doesn't allow you to specify a different sendmail daemon

The following reply was made to PR conf/31134; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: sean-freebsd-gnats@chittenden.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 15:16:32 +0300

 On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 05:06:28AM -0700, sean@chittenden.org wrote:

 > >Number:         31134
 > >Category:       conf
 > >Synopsis:       /etc/rc doesn't allow you to specify a different sendmail daemon
 > >Originator:     Sean Chittenden
 > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE i386
 > >Environment:
 > System: FreeBSD tim1.hosting.flyingcroc.net 4.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #0: Tue Sep 18 11:57:08 PDT 2001 murray@builder.FreeBSD.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386

 > 	I use the postfix mailer instead of sendmail and would like to continue to
 > 	use sendmail -bd as the way of starting postfix.  That said, /etc/rc and
 > 	/etc/defaults/rc.conf need to be updated to include a sendmail_program
 > 	variable.  /etc/rc also relies on /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to be present for
 > 	sendmail to be enabled: this is not true for postfix and has been disabled.

 The sendmail.cf part might be a real problem.  Specifying the program to run
 though is actually done via mailer.conf(5) - this is a greatly thought out
 way to ensure that all legacy applications may still invoke sendmail(8),
 newaliases(8), mailq and such, while mailwrapper(8) transparently runs
 the actual executable of your choice.

 So, just edit the /etc/mail/mailer.conf file and specify the appropriate
 program from the Postfix package to run instead of sendmail.

 The sendmail.cf thing might be a real issue, but I've never seen any harm
 in just leaving it there, and I've never actually removed it :)

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.