Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:10:35 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to install -stable snap via FTP

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 11:24 -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> Sysinstall doesn't verify checksums in transit (though that would be a
> cool feature).  It's really a mystery as to why this is happening,
> unless something's broken in libfetch, since sysinstall didn't change
> with respect to this and every indication is that the code should Just
> Work(tm).  If I ever get some time, I'll build a local release here
> and test-install it to see if I can instrument the problem at all.

I haven't checked and am ignorant w/ regards to sysinstall,
libfetch, etc.  But could this be the kind of "error" which
sometimes can be seen on consoles, too, when you do some "tar
xzvf $ARCH"?  I think of the one coming from internal block
sizes:  tar recognizes the end of the archive and exits, while
the decompressor still wants to deliver some padding data (since
it's in the compressed file) and thus runs into some EPIPE
error.  Having a quick look at the install archive format makes
me think ...

$ cd /home/cdrom/mounts/4.4-install.iso
$ cat bin/bin.aa | file -
standard input:              gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970, max compression, os: Unix
$ cat bin/bin.aa | gunzip | file -
standard input:              GNU tar archive

Although "cat bin/bin.?? | tar tvzf -" (and the same for some
others, see the next (bash syntax) command) doesn't trigger this
"error" situation -- at least not visibly ...

FILES=`ls */*.aa`
for DIST in $FILES; do
  export D=`dirname $DIST`
  export F=`basename $DIST .aa`
  (
    echo $D/$F
    cat ${D}/${F}.?? | tar tvzf - > /dev/null
  ) | less -MM -q
done

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net