Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:34:21 +0100
From:      Arjan de Vet <devet@devet.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PATCH for review: ipfilter changes in rc.*

Darren Reed wrote:

>In some email I received from Arjan de Vet, sie wrote:
>> I wrote similar patches (see http://home.iae.nl/users/devet/freebsd/)
>> trying to fix more or less the same bugs/problems.
>>
>> Maybe it's a good idea if Giorgos and I together come up with 1 'big'
>> ipfilter /etc/rc.* and rc.conf.5 patch which includes the best parts of
>> both our patches?
>
>That sounds like a good plan.

OK, updated patches for stable and current are available from:

	http://home.iae.nl/users/devet/freebsd/

I include the README here:

	This is joint work with Giorgos Keramidas.

	Patches to fix and cleanup ipfilter/ipnat code in the /etc/rc.*
	framework both for -current and -stable, including an update to
	the rc.conf(5) manual page. Note that for stable 'ipfs' should
	be MFC'ed first!

	Overview of problems fixed:

	- ipmon(8) is started before loading any filter/NAT rules;

	- ipmon(8) and ipfs(8) do not solely depend on ipfilter_enable
	  anymore, they now also work when only ipnat_enable is true;

	- the multiple occurrences of code loading the ipfilter kernel
	  module have been removed;

	- the options have been removed from the _program variables in
	  defaults/rc.conf and the comments in that file have been
	  updated to reflect (possibly new) reality;

	- the rc.conf.5 manual page has been updated to reflect the
	  changes.

	After this patch has been applied the following ipfilter related
	PRs can be closed:

	kern/25344
	conf/26275
	bin/27016
	conf/31482

	conf/25223
	conf/25809

Darren: please wait for the comments of Doug Barton before committing,
he wants to review the patch for possible rc.* style issues first.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands               <devet@devet.org>
Work: http://www.madison-gurkha.com/  (Security, Open Source, Education)