Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:13:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      mw@lanfear.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory Checking functions?

hello!

    Are there are any functions available outside of kernel-land to
verify the validity of a memory pointer?

    I.e. I'd love to have something like:

    isPointerValid(stringPointer);

    which returns false if it definitely points to invalid memory, and
true if it at least points to valid memory (which doesn't mean it's
still good, but means my program won't fault if i dereference it).
knowning whether i'm allowed to write to that memory would be sweet
too.

    Does this exist at all?

    Thanks,
    mark.