Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:59:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        david@catwhisker.org, peter@wemm.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: cvs repository surgery

>Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 15:23:12 -0800
>From: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>

>This is certainly unrelated..  gdb (and gdb.291) was not touched.
>Secondly, I only did src/contrib/gcc, not gcc.295..  The -current compiler
>is unchanged at this stage.  If this started happening on 4.x then I'd
>be worried since 4.x is using src/contrib/gcc.

Well, after an email exchange with David O'Brien, I "cloned" the
-CURRENT slice in question (copied slice 4 to slice 3, and adjusted
fstab), blew away /usr/src on slice 3, did a "cvs co" from the same
repository, re-applied some local patches I've been testing, re-booted
from slice 3, started the buildworld & friends over, and it worked like
a charm.

Somewhat emboldened (albeit rather puzzled) by that, I re-booted back to
slice 4 (where I had been doing the -CURRENT festivities), re-did the
buildworld & friends... and it (also) worked like a charm:

freebeast[1] uname -a
FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #40: Fri Nov  9 20:00:56 PST 2001     root@freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/FREEBEAST  i386
freebeast[2]

Sorry about the false alarm.  :-(

Color me perplexed,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.