Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:03:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      project10 <project10@alpha.focalnetworks.net>
To:        Wade Majors <wade@ezri.org>
Cc:        'Bsd Neophyte' <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: how to get the IP address of someone logging into the server on the console

That would be logged in the file /var/log/wtmp* -- current login
information is in /var/run/utmp.

Sameer, what you want to do depends on how you are logging in -- sshd
doesn't call login(1) (is this accurate? I'm guessing, here.) and as such
won't produce similar messages to say, a telnet login.

However, on my system, both sshd and telnet log originating IP:

Nov 11 05:48:20 omega sshd[2215]: Accepted password for project10 from
#host# port 21034 ssh2
Nov 11 05:49:00 omega login: login from #host# on ttyp2
as project10

Don't ask me how I got them to do that. I believe sshd does that
automagically.

---------
Shawn Lussier