Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 18:12:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound Card Not Detected

Hi,

My sound card is a Compusa $19.95 special. It is a pci
32 bit, supposedly "Sound Blaster Compatible card. It
claims to have an ALS 4000 chip, made by Avance Logic,
so they are probably a company trying to sound like
Advanced Logic. I have the pcm and sbc devices
compiled into the kernel. I realize now however that
the
sbc device is not needed because my card is pci and
not isa. But that should not matter that I
unecessarily included sbc, does it? The Problem is
that my system is not detecting my sound card at boot
and only displays the following:

pci0: <unknown card> (vender=blah, dev=blah) at blah
irq blah

where blah means I am too lazy to type what it
actually says.  My questions are
this.

1. Do I need to compile in some different devices in
order to get my card recognized, and if so, which
ones?

2. Is it hopeless and my card is just not supported by
freebsd and therefore I must purchase a new card, and
if so, what is a good moderately priced pci card known
to work with the pcm driver.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne