Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:00:51 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PORTVERSION=6.1 wrong in linux_base-62 ???

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:00:14AM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> We have 3 linux_base ports:
>
> linux_base	with PORTVERSION=6.1
> linux_base-6.2	with PORTVERSION=6.1
> linux_base	with PORTVERSION=7

Yes this is totally ridiculous.
There should be 'linux_base' which is always the latest and greatest.  In
this case that is the Red Hat 7.x bits.  'linux_base' should also have
any needed RH 6.2 bits (ie, "compat libs"); but I am not sure that list
of needed bits has been determined yet.

Until 'linux_base' is fully usable by all ports, there should be a
'linux_base-6.2' which can be used as a dependency.

I am not sure all involved that has asked for repo copies, or updated the
ports have been on this sheet of music.  The proliferation of version
numbers in ports has gotten *totally* ridiculous and we need to rane it
back in.  We've gotten to the point that in order to use our ports
collection; a user has to have way too much knowledge about version
numbers and what port is actually what.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)