Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 05:20:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FW: Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems

The following reply was made to PR ports/32321; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:09:02 -0500

 Forgot to send this to the audit trail.

 ----- Forwarded message from Will Andrews <will@csociety.org> -----

 Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:04:49 -0500
 From: Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
 To: kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org, kde@FreeBSD.org
 Cc: Garance A Drosihn <gad@cs.rpi.edu>, desmo@bandwidth.org,
 	jah4007@cs.rit.edu

 On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:59:43PM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
 > Another PR just got opened because kdelibs 2.2.1 installs cups. Now, I use
 > cups, but if I didn't, this would upset me just a tiny bit, especially if I
 > used, e.g., LPRng[1].

 I don't understand the problem with KDE.

 > We can safely remove the depend in the Makefile; if cups is there, it'll get
 > used for the build, and if it it's not there, it won't. No problem.

 Actually, it IS a problem.  If CUPS is used and the package db
 doesn't know it, something will break if someone later decides to
 remove it.  That is not acceptable.

 CUPS is installed because many people find it easier to configure
 their printers in kcontrol using CUPS than BSD LPR or LPRng.  If
 there's a conflict between CUPS and some other LPR thing, it's
 not KDE's problem.

 > I don't know the nuances well enough to know whether we can control the
 > generation of a dependencies in a binary package. If we can, I think we can
 > get away with just stifling the depend on cups in the output package.
 > If we can't, then what can we do to prevent hosing the user?

 Nothing.  In my investigation, it's not KDE's problem.

 > [1] LPRng and CUPS both provide /usr/local/bin/lp* and so installing one on
 > top of the other is just not nice at all. If pkg_add had a concept of
 > conflicting packages, then....

 It's not KDE's problem.  :-)
 The CUPS and LPRng (and whatever else) should DTRT and not
 install binaries with wordy names like "lpr".  Since it's not a
 KDE problem, I've CC:'d the maintainers of the CUPS and LPRng
 ports to bring the problem to their attention.  I'll move the PR
 to them too.

 On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 23:27:16 -0500, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
 >>Synopsis:	x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems
 >	The makefile for x11/kdelibs2 has a dependency on
 >	cups.2:${PORTSDIR}/print/cups
 >	This (apparently) causes CUPS to be installed when the user goes
 >	to install KDE.

 Well, of course.  It's a dependency.

 >	If the user is not actually using CUPS, this causes some confusion
 >	between /usr/local/bin/lpr (the cups version) and /usr/bin/lpr (the
 >	version everyone on the machine should really be using).  What may
 >	then happen is that the administrator of the machine starts pulling
 >	their hair out becomes some users on the machine can print, and
 >	other ones can not (the difference being whether the user has
 >	/usr/local/bin in their PATH).  Questions ensue, which generally
 >	come my way (gad@FreeBSD.org), and eventually we realize what the
 >	problem is.

 Well, you've hit right on the actual problem: CUPS and LPRng are
 installing the same binary!  :(

 >>Fix:
 >
 >	I assume that KDE needs some library that CUPS creates.  Could we
 >	break that library out into a separate port, so the library could
 >	be installed without disrupting print-commands?  Is there some
 >	change I could make to freebsd's lpr/lpd which would make it easier
 >	to fix this KDE port?  I am willing to do that (particularly if it
 >	means less email from frustrated administrators), but I am not sure
 >	if that is the best fix either.  (I do not know if that would help
 >	people who use lprNG instead of the bsd lpr, for instance).

 There's nothing wrong with KDE -- the whole reason I added the
 CUPS dependency is because KDE has a modular print configuration
 system which allows a user to pick from a variety of different
 systems to use to print.  One particular system you can tell it
 to use is CUPS.  KDE has support for using CUPS, and I figured,
 since many people use it, why not?  It's not necessary, of
 course, for KDE to print at all.  But since this is not a KDE
 problem, I'm not "fixing" it.  You should direct your effort at
 the maintainers of CUPS/LPRng ports.

 By the way, desmo@bandwidth.org, I'm not sure why your port is in
 the sysutils category.  It really should be in print... but I
 guess that's a debatable matter.

 --
 wca

 ----- End forwarded message -----