Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:06:13 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, des@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Meaningless commit messages [was: cvs commit: ports/www/linux-opera Makefile]

Mike Barcroft wrote:
> Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:49:16 -0800 (PST), Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > > des         2001/11/27 09:49:16 PST
> > >
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     www/linux-opera      Makefile
> > >   Log:
> > >   Pander to the backseat drivers.
> >
> > Could you please use more meaningful commit messages? For
> > example it is absolutely impossible to guess what this
> > commit is all about without looking at the diff.
>
> >From the Committers Guide:
> "Do not waste space in the commit messages explaining what you did.
> That is what cvs diff is for.  Instead, tell us why you did it."

Well, the guide is over simplifying it.  Also, dont forget the previous
paragraph:
       <para>Good commit messages are important. They tell others
          why you did the changes you did, not just right here and now,
          but months or years from now when someone wonders why some
          seemingly illogical or inefficient piece of code snuck into
          your source file. It is also an invaluable aid to deciding
          which changes to MFC and which not to MFC.</para>

I was planning to change the paragraph that you quoted to something like
this:
        <para>Commit messages should be clear, concise and provide
          a reasonable summary to give an indication of what was
          changed and why.</para>

        <para>Commit messages should provide enough information to
          enable a third party to decide if the change is relevant to
          them and if they need to read the change itself.</para>

Cheers,
-Peter