Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:41:55 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 11:25:12PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > Assuming one already uses FreeBSD (why else
> > subscribe to this list ;) there are advantages
> > to using it as a desktop.
>
> Obviously.  My point was that, if you are choosing an OS for primarily desktop
> use, the best choice is Microsoft Windows.  If you already have one machine and

It's not the best choice for me, nor for several others who have already
made that known. Please don't make blanket statements like this, especially
on this list, where you're going to be looked at and treated as a troll.
I personally have no use for the extra crap that so many windows users
can't seem to live without. Others may, but that still doesn't qualify
your statement, which is just an opinion.

(and as a software engineer, I find that windows is one of the
most piss-poor and developer-unfriendly systems around. That's my opinion.)

> it is running FreeBSD for other purposes, it may be more economical to use it
> for desktop use as well, rather than buy a different machine and run Windows on
> it (and dropping FreeBSD to switch to Windows is very unlikely to be
> justifiable, unless you are making a major change in your computer use with
> almost total emphasis on the desktop).
>
> I really don't understand this preoccupation with desktops.  Doesn't anyone run
> FreeBSD as a server, or is that simply not considered cool enough to please
> anyone anymore?

Uh, lots of people do, but they don't feel like feeding the troll, I suppose.

> > Since I am of the opinion that Windows will
> > eventually become as much of a closed software
> > environment as the Mac is for hardware ...
>
> The OS itself is already completely closed, since it is proprietary.  The same
> is true for the Mac.  However, Windows has always been more open to third-party
> software products, and I don't expect that to change, as it only benefits
> Microsoft (owner of the Windows OS).  That is something that Apple just could
> never understand, it seems.

Windows isn't "more open," it's just more proliferated, so it benefits
the software companies to release software for that platform.
If I wrote windows when I was 10, but millions of people used it,
software would still be released for it.

mike