Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 05:53:35 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

In message <51037.1007889647@winston.freebsd.org>, Jordan Hubbard writes:
> > /home has become *The* standard place for one's home dir.
>
> And you're smoking some bad crack if you think there's *any such
> thing* as a standard here, much less "*The* standard" :-)

The thing about standards is that there's so many to choose from.  Of
the few systems we (OSG) owns, we conform to the "OSG" standard.  Each
of the customers that I have inherited, e.g. they had an installed base
of machines my team had not installed from scratch, have their own
standards different from my standards and different from each other's
standards.  In a couple of cases it appears there are no standards
whatsoever where in fact various standards used by these customers are
an evolution of various standards used by various sysadmins and
contractors who had worked at these customer sites over the years.

In short, personally, I would like to think that my approach is the
standard (or the right way to do it), however I would be in a state
of delusion if I actually believed that.

Before we roll up our sleeves and build this bikeshed, could we
decide on its color please.  My vote is green.   :)

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team      Email:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC