Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 17:02:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Sunday,  9 December 2001 at  1:33:40 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:11:16PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>>     Not only that, but blowing-out /var/tmp is relatively easy to do even
>>     on a single user system.  The last thing you want to see is a full
>
> Not surprising with a softlink from /tmp to /var/tmp.

It would surprise me if the symlink would be the problem.  Typically
/tmp is much smaller than /var/tmp.

>>     The same thing goes for /home, though in /home's case the
>>     reasoning is somewhat more ephermal.  You get the same safety
>>     factor in regards to having a greater chance of recovering /usr
>>     after a crash if /home isn't sitting in /usr (/usr/home) (or
>>     sitting in root for that matter!).
>
> The traditional directory is /var/users but I prefer /var/home.

The traditional directory is /usr.  /var and /home came at the same
time with System V.4 IIRC.  I thought we were at least agreed that
/home would be the correct name.

> If you don't want a separate /home partition /var/users is the
> better choice.  /home is the place for system wide home directories
> which are usualy non-local - therefor no need for a local partition.

You can use it like that.  It wasn't the original idea.  One way or
another, it makes sense to separate /usr (system files, including
/usr/local) from /home (user files).  That way you can upgrade just by
replacing /usr.

Greg