Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:34:19 -0500
From:      Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems creating a filesystem on a new SCSI drive.

It was Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:10:09 -0800 when I read this:
> > dd if=/dev/zero of /dev/rda1 bs=1k count=1
> > disklabel -Brw da1 auto
>
> Why are you making it bootable?

Not sure. I was reading the handbook and this was the specific example given for adding a 2nd scsi drive. I just assumed there was some reason.

> > disklable -e da1 # I didn't edit just :q out of vi
>
> Was there a 'e' partition at this point?

No there was no e partition at this point. In fact there seemed to be no partitions created.

> > newfs -d0 /dev/rda1e
>
> What does 'disklabel' say?

here is the disklabel output for the new drive...
# /dev/da1:
type: SCSI
disk: DEC
label: RZ29B    (C) DEC
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 4091
sectors/unit: 8380080
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8380080        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 4091*)

> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

roddierod@yahoo.com

"I'm a character in a world gone wrong!"
	- Entombed - Returning to Madness