Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:53:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org, sam@wa4phy.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Userland not installing

>Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:45:13 -0500
>From: Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>

>Something is rather odd here, and I'm at a loss to explain it.  Checking
>dates does in fact show a Dec 17th datestamp, but comparing the /usr/bin
>executables against /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin executables shows they are
>different in size, but datestamps are the same, Dec 17.  This whole
>thing started with a funny netstat output.  Looking at file sizes, I see
>in /usr/bin, netstat is:

>-r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem 91008  Dec 17 13:06 /usr/bin/netstat

>and in /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat:

>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  99182   Dec 17  12:24  netstat

>Knowing it has not been installed, but it does give proper output.  A
>view of the script of the install does not show any problems...

FYI:

m133[1] file /usr/bin/netstat /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/netstat
/usr/bin/netstat:                         setgid ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/netstat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
m133[2] ls -l !:*
ls -l /usr/bin/netstat /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/netstat
-r-xr-sr-x  1 root  kmem   91008 Dec 17 05:58 /usr/bin/netstat
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  wheel  99182 Dec 17 05:38 /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/netstat
m133[3]

(I.e., the new one *is* installed; it's stripped, while the one in
/usr/obj is not stripped, thus accounting for the size difference.)

Cheers,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.