Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:21:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   What are the current memory limits on x86?

I know someone having some trouble with a big memory machine
running some other *nix, so I was curious about some stuff.

(if the answers apply differently for the kernels of 4.4 and
5.0-CURRENT, please specify)

Specifically, on an x86 with 4Gig of RAM, will the kernel
let a single process access nearly all of it?  I believe that
on his current setup doing a >2Gig malloc returns NULL.

In general, I am curious about what the current limits and
gotcha's are for FreeBSD for large memory machines Intel
and otherwise, but I am having a hard time finding something
describing where the edge is.

Thanks,

-r